· Louisiana Gumbo Mix (www.louisianafishfry.com)
· 1 pound smoked sausage (www.rabideauxssausagekitchen.com)
· 4 pounds chicken breast cut into cubes
· 1 smoked turkey leg whole
· 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (www.tonychachere.com)
· 2 cups chopped onions
· 1 cup chopped celery
· 1 cup bell peppers
· 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
· 2 bay leaves
· 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
· 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
· 1 tablespoon file powder
· 4 cups water
· White Rice
In a 4-quart pot, whisk Louisiana gumbo mix and bring to a boil.
Add all ingredients (except white rice) into the pot. Continue to boil on medium heat for 1.2 to 2 hours. Be careful not to completely cover the pot; leave 1/4 uncover to let steam escape.
In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1.5 tablespoons of salt, rice and water, (equal parts) and to bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered and undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve gumbo mix over cooked rice.
You will receive a video of Eddie cooking this recipe in the upcoming episode of Barrel 87’s cooking series.